Our AV experts have earned their professional certifications to design, build, and manage the best AV services for you. View Our Certifications
Boasting a dual-diaphragm condenser capsule with three polar patterns, transformerless circuitry, and specially designed physical elements all working together to deliver clean highs and mids along with rich low-end traits, the Audio-Technica AT4050 presents itself as a highly versatile microphone for instrument and vocal capture in the studio, at home, or onstage. The vapor-deposited gold diaphragms are pre-aged to stay sonically consistent over time, while the transformerless circuitry minimizes low-end breakup and contributes to enhanced transient response. Additionally, the precision-machined acoustic baffle yields increased stability.
Engage the -10 dB pad to increase headroom and capture incredibly loud sources—drums, blaring horns, and guitar cabs—up to 159 dB SPL without distortion. When low-frequency rumble/hum or overwhelming bass invade your signal, turn on the 80 Hz high-pass filter switch to attenuate the lows without resorting to EQ. Since the AT4050 is a solid-state condenser with an XLR output, it should be mated to an XLR-equipped mic preamp capable of sending 48V phantom power. It comes with a vibration-mitigating shockmount, a protective storage case, and a dust cover.A Condenser for All Occasions With three switchable polar patterns, the large-diaphragm Audio-Technica AT4050 exhibits a remarkable combination of qualities—high-SPL capability with transparent airy highs, and mids complemented by rich low-end qualities. True Condenser Capsule The AT40540 side-address condenser microphone features dual large diaphragms that are gold-vaporized and aged in house for consistent, outstanding performance. It boasts an externally polarized (DC bias) condenser design. Transformerless Circuitry The AT4050's low-noise circuitry is transformerless, resulting in fast transient response and clean output signals for transparent reproduction of even the most troublesome of instruments and sound effects. Three Polar Patterns The availability of three polar patterns at the flip of a switch allows the AT4050 to serve studios as a versatile all-around workhorse.
- The omnidirectional polar pattern is sensitive to sound coming from all directions. Select the omni pattern to pick up several voices or instruments on the same microphone, to diminish proximity effect, and to preserve the location’s ambient sound.
- The cardioid polar pattern is more sensitive to sound originating directly in front of the element, making it useful in controlling feedback, reducing pickup of unwanted sounds and providing isolation between performers.
- The figure-8 polar pattern is more sensitive to sound originating in the front and back of the microphone, rejecting sounds from the sides. It is often used in conjunction with advanced stereo miking techniques.
- Transparent uppers/mids balanced by rich low-end qualities combine with advanced acoustic engineering for extensive performance capabilities
- Externally polarized (DC bias) true condenser design with dual diaphragms to maintain precise polar pattern definition across the full frequency range of the microphone
- 2-micron, vapor-deposited gold diaphragms undergo a five-step aging process, so the optimum characteristics achieved remain constant over years of use
- Omnidirectional, cardioid, and figure-8 polar patterns
- Exceptionally low noise, wide dynamic range, and high SPL handling
- Transformerless circuitry virtually eliminates low-frequency distortion and provides superior correlation of high-speed transients
- Precision-machined, nickel-plated-brass, acoustic-element baffle provides enhanced element stability and optimal sensitivity
- Open acoustical environment of the symmetrical housing assembly minimizes unwanted internal reflections
- State-of-the-art surface-mount electronics ensure compliance with A-T's stringent consistency and reliability standards
- Custom shockmount provides superior isolation
- Switchable 80 Hz high-pass filter and -10 dB pad
- Operates on 48V phantom power
- XLR 3-pin output connector